Monday, 20 May 2013

It's All About the Look: Part 2

-->  This is a continuation of my post the "it's all about the look" if you haven't read that, you should, no seriously, this won't make sense unless you read at least the first part. My friend has made her own version of this post too, follow this link to read.

Burlesque 
http://www.impawards.com/2010/posters/burlesque.jpgThe film was released in 2010 and directed by Steven Antin starring Cher and Christina Aguilera. Now I absolutely adore the burlesque style, the costumes, the stage, set and I love how the dance portrays woman as powerful but that’s a subject that would need an entire blog post on a non-media themed blog.  This film had a cheesy stereotypical dance film plot.  The only difference was that it was the singing instead of dance that made her leave her hometown. I thought the characters were pretty flat. The love interest she ends up with was of course a worker putting of a dream that the protagonist encourages him to follow.  I think the only reason I like this is because of my love of the dance and show burlesque.

 http://blogs.independent.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Burlesque-pic-41.jpg

 Ella Enchanted
This is another “kidd-y” film that stars Anne Hathaway and was directed by Tommy O’Havey in 2004. The film it’s is aimed for children and based on a book so I won’t criticise that. I love how there’s a mix of magic and electricity in this film like the wooden escalators.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1f/EllaEnchantedFilmPoster.jpg/220px-EllaEnchantedFilmPoster.jpg







Suckerpunch

The dance fantasy
 Now I'm sure angry people, woman and men alike can rant, rave and rage themselves blue over this film. The sexualisation of the young looking protagonist, the obvious use of good looking woman in typical "nerd" settings and many other arguments that mostly self righteous nerds and feminists say. The film is about a girl who is unfairly sent to an asylum in 1960's and is driven insane by the asylum and escapes to different fantasy's with her inmates.  In these fantasy's she  finds things she needs to escape the asylum.  It was made in 2011 directed by Zack Snyder. Now I agree with some of the arguments to a degree but they aren't the reason I'm putting this film with the bad film good look post. Like most films these day's there was an extended version released and it changed the story by loads. There was a song and a couple of extra shots at the end which changed  the story by a lot. For one it explained the story more and the villains were given a back story that the film needed to be a story. I would of liked more character development for some of the main girls too and know what they're like in the real world which wasn't shown much in either version. I also would of liked all the girls to not just be "YEAH! I'M SUPER BAD ASS AND COOL and a couple of us cry a bit so we aren't entirely flat but that's all there is really". The first fantasy which is the dance show fantasy I liked the look of for the reason I mentioned earlier. I love the burlesque show look with lights, feathers and luxury. The fantasies within a fantasy ( getting kind of inception-y here) had a big steampunk feel. Some parts were purely historic, some were purely futuristic and some where just a very cool mix.  The steam run people in a WWII kind of setting were very steampunk, as well as the clothes and weapons.



Okay, that was the second part of my look post.  I need to re-watch some films and maybe I'll see other films that I'll put in part three and who knows this might be an ongoing post. Thanks for reading and please tell me your thoughts in a comment.
Bye now,
Rain


No comments:

Post a Comment