Monday, 15 July 2013

Defiant by SyFy Episode 1 Review

Hello Readers,

My dad has been going on at me everyday for 2-3 weeks now about watching the TV show called Defiant and to "go past the first episode and give it a chance" so I watched the pilot, part 1 and 2. I've noticed that a lot of reviews just go in depth about the plot so i'm going to try to just tell you my opinions in a clear and orderly manner.

The Synopsis of the show from IMDb is as follows, "The series is set in the near future, where aliens known collectively as Votans have come to Earth seeking a new home after their solar system was destroyed. However, when they reached Earth, they discovered despite a prolonged negotiation with the government on Earth, they were not welcome. Rather than turn away, they began a war with the humans as they are determined to make Earth their new home. During the war, the Votans dropped terraformers on the planet and transformed the surface; scorching the earth, opening chasms in the ground and covering the surface of the planet in dust and debris. After decades of war, a ceasefire is declared when both sides realise they must focus on survival on this new almost alien planet. The series largely revolves around the character of Jeb Nolan. Jeb was only ten years old when the Votans arrived and he served in the military during the war. With the war now over, he returns to his hometown of St Louis to find it's is no longer the city he left; it is little more than refugee camp. Deciding his services are needed, Jeb takes up a position as the Chief Lawkeeper in Defiance, so he can protect the town from dangerous clashes between humans, aliens, military scavengers and other dangerous visitors who occasionally enter the town". 

Things I didn't like about the pilot

The first thing I noticed that the aliens were all very typical looking aliens from every other alien film or TV series in the world. I made comparison photo below. During the making of these I forgot about a lot of the names of teh creature I was thinking of in video games, TV and films so there Is on the red-heads one for now, although even then the last one slipped my mind completely.


The second thing was in my opinion the obvious developing romances that were set up in the first episode in a way that made it seem too forced. Maybe it's just my "shipping" self that has been tuned to the romantic development between characters and a clear interest was was just to abrupt for my subtlety seeking eyes. I'm just going to predict that there will be a love triangle between Jeb and the sisters as well as a relationship between the deputy and Irisa, I also think that the McCawley and Rosewater kids are going to have some trouble once the parents' plan becomes known. 

The third thing was the lack of a father daughter bond between Irsa and Nolan. It's established that Nolan considers her his daughter and she calls him Dad but there were moments such as the brothel scene where I felt that their relationship was more "annoyed friend" than daughter and the way he introduces her as "companion" doesn't feel right to me. 

The whole show just felt a bit too "every over-done sci-fi plot" and too predictable although my dad says that there are twists. Another prediction here, the guy wearing sunglasses who's been set up as "the mysterious villain who's working with the unexpected traitor" will betray the unexpected traitor.

Going into a bit more technical stuff here, there wasn't enough shot variety too keep me entertained for long. They all mostly showed the action.


Things I liked About the Pilot


Earth had changed. In most fantasy settings in the future after an alien lands the earth stays the same. When I say change I don't mean cities have fallen I mean that the plant life has changed. If aiens were to land they would be carrying and bringing all sorts of stuff from their planet with them, willingly or not. A seed might of been stuck on some packed clothes, landed on earth and grew. It makes the setting more believable.

Overall there was a lot of action to keep the audience entertained as well as dialogue to inform the audience, there was a very good mix as usually pilots just set the scene and don't do much. 


It also established a lot in a mostly subtle manner, by the end of the episode you are no longer a stranger to this new setting and know a lot about the history of this world and some of the characters.

 It sets up future plot points to get you to come back and watch the next episode and the episode ended in a satisfying, non-cliff-hanger, way.  I like that. A lot. 

The steampunk, post-apocalypse style. I love it. Anyone who's read any of my previous posts know that.



So yes, overall I will be watching the next episode and not just because of my dad I am just really interested in whats going to happen. I hope this review was done okay and managed not to spoil anything or make it so you don't have to watch the episode first. Please tell me below if you liked the layout of this and if you want more things reviewed like this and give me your suggestions!!

Rain






No comments:

Post a Comment